Friday, March 31, 2017

Crumpets Nail Tarts: Green Freestyle ft. MoYou London Festive

Hello Readers!

This week's prompt for Crumpet's Nail Tarts  is "green freestyle", so green is what I did! At first I was kind of interpreting "freestyle" as anything you feel like you wanna do (*gosh*) but then somebody posted saying maybe it means techniques such as dry brushing, blobbicure, fan brushing, etc. I had already been planning on doing a Lady Liberty themed mani, and I thought a fan brushed background would actually be perfect for it, so I ran with that.


Besides, it's been a while- ok, like a really long time- since I've done a fan brush mani. And they are fun! I have done dry brushing more recently, but I though fan brushing would give me the kind of distressed look I was going for here.


I basically raided the "green" section of my nail polish shelf to grab several shades that I though would be statuesque, and added in a gold for good measure. I started off with the Sinful Colors "Works Like a Charm" (two coats) and then just placed one green polish at a time onto my silicone mat and then applied it to my fan brush, then brushed it lightly over my nails.



My Statue of Liberty image comes from this MoYou London plate, from the Festive collection. I really liked the idea of having the stamping images be silhouettes against the green background, so I had to scrounge through all my plates to find images to pair with this that were also solid.


...but, while scrounging, I found this plate and the "I <3 NY" image, and I thought it would go perfectly with my theme. Finding a silhouette of a cityscape was a little trickier, however- apparently I just don't have any traditional ones. I almost had to resort to freehand (which may have been scary) but I found this:

A hehe (most likely knock-off) plate from the Harry Potter line, with that image of Hogwarts. Yeah, it's not actually a cityscape, but I figured it'd do.

Thanks for stopping by today! As always, links to the rest of the Crumpet's Nail Tart participants are in the link-up below!

16 comments:

  1. Fab mani! I didn't realise it was Hogwarts until you said, that tickled me haha! :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ha ha luckily the Hogwarts castle turned out to be a pretty decent cityscape.

      Delete
  2. Love the use of gold in the background! Totally makes it! Looks fab!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was hoping the gold would make it resemble the statue a little bit more.

      Delete
  3. Nice use of what you had on hand. :) If I can remember right, there is a bundle monster circle plate with a cityscape (BM-414) and Moyou London's Tourist collection has a few cityscapes if you're looking to fill that gap for the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your fan brush mani turned out amazing! I've actually never tried doing one before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They are surprisingly easy and fun to do!

      Delete
  5. I love the shimmer of gold that you added in the base!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love that green base and I think the fact you used the HP image is brilliant, it adds a touch of magic.
    Vicky x
    @thepolishlist

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm just glad it worked out to look like what I needed! ;)

      Delete